MEMBER SERVICES Q&A: Ways to save on your energy bill


Elizabeth Davenport, member service representative

Q: I have heard a lot about Bluebonnet’s Energy Tracking Tool and how it can help me control my energy costs and use. Do you have more suggestions that can help me save on my energy bill?

A: Glad to hear you are interested in our Energy Tracking Tool. The free online tool lets you monitor your power use down to the hour, enabling you to see how a small change, such as turning the AC up a degree or two for a day, affects your bill.

Even if you don’t use the tracking tool, you can save on your bill by making small changes in your daily habits. Here are a few, courtesy of
  • Compact fluorescent (CFL) and lightemitting diode (LED) bulbs are more energy efficient and worth the investment. But you sometimes can save by simply turning lights off:
  • Incandescent lights should be turned off whenever they’re not needed. This will also keep the room cooler because they give off so much heat.
  • CFLs should be turned off only if you will be out of the room for more than 15 minutes; this guideline also helps extend the bulb’s operating life.
  • An LED’s operating life isn’t affected by turning it on and off, which is an advantage of these more expensive bulbs.
You can also be smart about your computer use:
  • Turn off your monitor when you’ll be away for more than 20 minutes.
  • Turn off your computer and monitor if you won’t be using your PC for more than two hours.
  • Plug your computer and accessories into a power strip and switch it off when your computer isn’t in use to prevent it from drawing power even when shut off.
  • Avoid using appliances that warm up your house — such as your oven — during the summer and instead use the microwave, stovetop and outdoor grill. Try to place lamps and TVs — anything that generates heat — away from internal thermostats.
Get more energy-saving tips at

Learn about the Energy Tracking Tool on our website. More questions? Email or call 800-842-7708 during business hours to speak to a member service representative.

— Elizabeth Davenport, member service representative

« Return to News